Friday, September 01, 2006

Godels Therom

Im reading a book called GEB an eternal golden braid , it was suggested to me by a dude whose own intelligence seemed tortuous to him. Sitting around in a pub he explained stuff which interested (or troubled perhaps?) him.
"Talk to Greg" Gabriel says , "He's into AI too"
I turn to face Sam, who runs his hands strenously through his hair and speaks
"I just want to know, what is it that drives us, what is intelligence?, can we capture it or is it something that will remain elusive to our species, our own nature?"
My girl turns up and I immediately start thinking about sex, its probably been a week since I got laid - Sam continues relentless. He turns to me.
"You've created intelligent computer programs , thats soo cool, what did you learn, do you feel that computer captured even a small piece of what we are?"
I'm kinda caught unawares, OK I like programming , and I get kicks out making 'clever' programs, I studied AI with a view to making a program that could make money and electronic markets, but was beat to the post in the real word by hoards of money hungry PHD mathematicians and finance companies. My pursuits in AI were never so noble. I start stroking my girls leg under the table, I reckon I'm getting lucky tonight. Meanwhile, the best I can muster is:
"Computers just do what you tell them to, very quickly. "
The fact that I create intelligence in machines and have no interest in its philospical consequences tortured Sam no end. He drew inwards after that and spoke less from then on.
I felt the tingle of the beginnings of a hard-on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home